A Brief History of BMW
Plenty of Issaquah residents drive BMWs, and there’s a rich history behind the popular car brand. Originally an engine manufacturer, BMW released its first vehicle, a motorcycle, in 1923. Throughout the 1930s, BMW expanded its range to into sports cars and larger luxury cars. The BMW 3/20, released in 1932, was the first BMW automobile designed completely by BMW. Four years later, BMW released its first four-door sedan, the BMW 326.
After World War II, BMW resumed automobile production and released the BMW 501 in 1951. After some revisions, the car was re-released as the BMW 501A and resulted in a doubling of sales. In the mid 1950s, BMW bought a license to manufacture Issetas, an Italian “bubble car” that had become popular in Europe. More than ten thousand Issetas were sold in 1955 alone. However, for a few years BMW was unable to compete with its competitors and was nearing the point of bankruptcy. In 1960, the development program began for a new range of models, called the “Neue Klasse” (New Class) project, which is credited for saving the BMW company. BMW released New Class four-door sedans in 1962, officially establishing its identity as sports sedan producers. In 1968, production of the BMW M30 engine began, BMW’s first straight-six engine since World War II which would remain in production for 24 years. Four years later, the first generation of the BMW 5 series mid-size sedans were introduced to replace the New Class sedans. BMW’s first SUV, the X5, was introduced in 1999. Although different from its typical sports cars, the X5 sold very well and resulted in other SUVs being introduced in the coming years.
With over 15 models on the market today, BMWs are known for the smooth drive they provide, their standout look, and their quiet purring engines. The current vehicle series’ BMW has include:
- 2 Series: BMW’s sporty, entry-level subcompact vehicle in the U.S. It comes in both coupe and convertible body styles.
- 3 Series: BMW’s best-selling vehicle of all time. The first generation released in 1976, this compact sedan is what BMW is known for.
- 4 Series: A variant from the 3 Series, introduced in 2014. It comes in two-door coupe, four-door gran coupe and convertible editions.
- 5 Series: BMW’s mid-size sedan, introduced in 1972.
- 6 Series: A variant from the 5 Series that has “curves that captivate, power that astounds, and the attitude to capture attention.”
- 7 Series: A full-size luxury sedan.
- 8 Series: BMW’s luxury grand tourer. It’s available in both coupe and convertible body styles.
- Z4: BMW’s small roadster. The “Z” stands for “zukunft,” which is German for “future.”
- X1: BMW’s entry-level subcompact crossover. Car and Driver named it one of their 10 best Trucks and SUVs for 2019.
- X2: A sportier, driving-oriented subcompact crossover. It’s lower to the ground than the X1. It has a sleeker “coupe” body shape and less cargo space.
- X3: BMW’s compact SUV. It was introduced in 2003, and the third generation was introduced for the 2018 model year.
- X4: A sportier version of the X3, with a sloping coupe body style.
- X5: BMW’s midsize SUV. It was the first BMW SUV, introduced in 1999.
- X6: BMW’s midsize crossover coupe. BMW says it is the “commanding sports activity coupe” with “striking looks, aggressive stance, and large proportions.”
- X7: BMW’s first full-size three-row SUV. It’s the largest BMW ever built.
- i3: BMW’s subcompact all-electric vehicle.
- i8: A plug-in hybrid performance roadster BMW launched in 2014. It comes in both Coupe and Roadster editions.
If you have a BMW in need of repairs, you can bring it to Eastside Bavarian in Issaquah today!
EASTSIDE BAVARIAN: YOUR TRUSTED BMW MAINTENANCE & REPAIR SHOP
- We will act with integrity and operate with transparency.
- We will only offer high quality original equipment manufactured or genuine replacement parts.
- We will always act responsibly and be good stewards of our environment.
Bayerische Motoren Werke AG (English: Bavarian Motor Works), commonly known as BMW, is a German automobile, motorcycle and engine manufacturing company founded in 1917. BMW is headquartered in Munich, Bavaria, Germany. It also owns and produces the MINI marque, and is the parent company of Rolls-Royce Motor Cars. BMW produces motorcycles under BMW Motorrad. In 2010, the BMW group produced 1,481,253 automobiles and 112,271 motorcycles across all its brands. BMW is part of the “German Big 3” luxury automakers, along with Audi and Mercedes-Benz, which are the three best selling luxury automakers in the world.
[ source: Wikipedia.org ]
We are a Digital Shop
Our technicians use the latest technology to not only tell you if there are any problems with your vehicle, but show you. If we uncover an issue, we'll email a photo of it to you for your review. At the end of every visit you'll receive a detailed report regarding the general health of your vehicle. Our #1 goal is to keep you safe on the road.